What really is healthy weight gain to you? Worry not if you have no clue.
The best weight for the body is that which remains constant. Although maintaining a normal body mass index is the healthiest for the body, studies have shown that fluctuating weights can do more harm to the body than being constantly overweight or underweight. However, if you need to put on weight, whatever is the reason, you need to take care that the weight gain is gradual so that your body does not undergo undue stress or suffer sudden shock. You also need to be aware of any dietary restrictions that will prevent you from achieving your goals.
Healthy Weight Gain:
The best ways to gain weight are the same as the best ways to lose it – diet and exercise. The intention behind healthy weight gain is to increase the muscle mass in the body and not the amount of fat. While increasing muscle mass leads to a number of health benefits such as increased immunity and resistance besides causing an increase in weight, increasing fat content in the body leads to cardiac problems, high blood cholesterol and lowering of metabolism.
So, if you are trying to gain weight, do not take it as an opportunity to go on a fast food diet.
Things that Aid in Healthy Weight Gain Plan:
Following are the facts you must keep in mind if you’re craving healthy weight gain:
- Healthy eating is still very important with a better eating schedule.
- Exercise is necessary so that all the extra calories and fats that you consume can be converted into lean muscle mass; exercises help burn calories/ fats and aid you get into shape.
- For healthy weight gain, you should not aim at putting on more than 2 lbs per week. The increase in calorific content should be 500 calories per day over your normal calorific consumption.
- Complementing meals with weight gainer products can help in providing the extra calories.
- You need to include more carbohydrates than protein, the optimum ration between the two being 3:2.
- Saturated fats should be avoided and omega 3 fatty acids and mono-saturated fats should form around 35% of your daily food content.
- Some of the foods that you can include are banana, boiled potatoes, nuts, avocados, seeds, starchy vegetables, dry fruits, granola and rice cakes. These foods work as natural weight gainer products and you can gain weight without increasing the belly fat content in your body.
- You need to compensate for the extra foods and calories by performing low intensity exercises, which help in developing core muscles.
- Weights training, lunges, bench presses and different variations of compound exercises can help in gaining weight at a safe rate. Weights, reps and type of exercises should be changed regularly. High intensity cardio exercises are not recommended for weight gain.
- In addition, you need to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water every day, have meals 5 to 6 times a day and include pre and post exercise meals within 45 minutes of workout.
- Meals should be balanced with all nutrients but with a greater emphasis on carbs.
If you end up gaining too much weight, follow these weight loss tips to help you maintain an optimal weight.